All pictures, images and text copyrighted by Bebe Cook.
(Brenda Nixon Cook)

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Doodle Art and New Pens




I love coupons, sales, gimmicks that store keepers use to bring me to their doors, in the hopes that I will buy more than the advertised special. I generally am pretty good at keeping to the sale items (not always). This weekend I went to Michael's with my 50% off coupon and purchased a set of calligraphy pens. I spent a bit of time Saturday night learning how the pens move, getting used to the weight of the pen, the amount of pressure needed to make lines of varying width and depth. I have been experimenting with my doodling tools, I have been doodling a long time ( most of my life), generally with bic pens and whatever paper is available, the last couple of years I have began to keep the best of these doodles, and the last six months I have began to explore tools of the trade, graduating from steno pads to sketch pads, and trying out a variety of pens and pencils, I have purchased graphite artists pencils, gel pens, roller-ball pens, fine and extra-fine sharpie markers , and lastly manga and calligraphy pens. So far I like the gel pens and the calligraphy pens the best, they seem to give crisp lines and sharp curves as well as the ability to vary the depth and boldness of black. Still I think them as doodles and not drawings, most evolve on their own, perhaps only hinting at the concrete. I find doing them relaxing and reassuring, a comforting abstraction.

No comments: