
I have gotten in the habit of taking walks with my camera. There is an up and down side to this practice, the up side is I enjoy the walk more, the down side is that I am not moving as efficiently to maximize the calories burned. I have found as I hoof it around streets and alleys that I experience the neighborhood in a much different way than I do by car. I find myself stopping and exploring.
Driving I make mental notes of shots to capture, thinking I will come back with camera when a spare minute surfaces. Most of the time that minute gets lost in the accumulation of minutes that make the day finding at times that I become buried by these minutes that pile up around my feet like leaves in a yard. This weekend we went to the college graduation of my nephew Jeremy. Jeremy is the son of one of my sacred friend Bonnie.
Bonnie is one of my sisters, my people, my family, no questions asked. He and my nephews Shane and Justin(who died in 2004) were the first babies of our next generation, born when my sisters were little more than children themselves. It was still the 80's we had big hair, suits with shoulder pads, no money, sexy leg warmers, lace anklets and patent leather pumps, and each other. We would hang out most Friday nights at Bonnie's and David's each couple bringing part of dinner, cheap wine or beer; to share our week. We ate a lot of pasta, casseroles, french bread, salad, hamburgers and hot dogs, drank an awful lot of pink wine from a box and in the purest sense broke bread in fellowship. It was good karma.
Watching Jeremy graduate from college, his wife and his mother both at his side was powerful karma. I felt for a minute caught in the wave of time, a sense of moving forward, stepping back, as if I was on a precipice of understanding, and I smiled.
Bonnie is one of my sisters, my people, my family, no questions asked. He and my nephews Shane and Justin(who died in 2004) were the first babies of our next generation, born when my sisters were little more than children themselves. It was still the 80's we had big hair, suits with shoulder pads, no money, sexy leg warmers, lace anklets and patent leather pumps, and each other. We would hang out most Friday nights at Bonnie's and David's each couple bringing part of dinner, cheap wine or beer; to share our week. We ate a lot of pasta, casseroles, french bread, salad, hamburgers and hot dogs, drank an awful lot of pink wine from a box and in the purest sense broke bread in fellowship. It was good karma.
Watching Jeremy graduate from college, his wife and his mother both at his side was powerful karma. I felt for a minute caught in the wave of time, a sense of moving forward, stepping back, as if I was on a precipice of understanding, and I smiled.
The photo one of the blackbirds in my neighborhood, I took a series of photos of this bird, and I sensed as I was photographing him, a shift in his awareness of me, with each shot he turned his head until he could see me, watching him. He did not fly away.
1 comment:
He was just a cute little boy last time I saw him! Congratulations to Jeremy and to Bonnie & David.
Post a Comment