All pictures, images and text copyrighted by Bebe Cook.
(Brenda Nixon Cook)

Sunday, January 24, 2010



It has been a long couple of weeks and I am for one am thankful that they have passed, my shingles are healed with twinges of residual pain but all in all I am mostly groovy. My day job is that of environmental scientist and I spent the last two weeks preparing for a high profile public meeting. Now that this work crunch has passed I find myself wanting to take a few play days. Play hooky, stay home, read a book, nest, write, photograph and cook. I love to cook, yesterday I made eggplant Parmesan for the first time, a recipe I found on Food Network, that was quite yummy. My best friend Trish came over and she and I sat in the kitchen while I diced, chopped, crushed and grated; we talked and drank coffee. Lots of talk and copious amount of coffee with the aroma of french roast, fresh garlic and onions being sauteed in olive oils. I experienced a sense of deja'vu, of being a child in the kitchen with my mother as she cooked, simply talking, telling her of my day. How connected I felt to her those few minutes each day, how she would ask me to taste and then how she add more salt or pepper (always more pepper). Sometimes I would help her chop or dice, mostly I made desserts. I remember making chocolate cakes and cookies from cocoa and butter, using a flour sifter, I loved it when the ingredient list in the cookbook matched what was in the cupboard. A cross between explorer and prospector. I had a real thrill yesterday as I was looking for recipes for Eggplant Parmesan and I realized that I had in my cupboard everything I needed. A good feeling to know that you have everything you need. The photo taken from the cab of my Dads truck somewhere between Anchorage and Seward summer of 2007.

No comments: