All pictures, images and text copyrighted by Bebe Cook.
(Brenda Nixon Cook)

Monday, June 1, 2015

Truffala Trees and Other Examples of Life Imiating Fiction

Myakka State Park. Sarasota Florida riverboat ride.  As I looked up I found myself thinking of Dr. Suess, truffala trees and our species (myself included) to collect "Thneeds" -the thing that everyone thinks they need. I found myself caught up in the beauty along the river, seeing native species of bird and gator in their natural habitat.  I love the diversity of birds, all birds, but especially water birds.  They leave me breathless.  Odd that I have never taken up birding. As I lose time when I am in the company of birds.  I listen and watch.  I recently had a conversation of sorts ( I am not sure what forms of electronic communication constitutes conversation these days) about the experience of raising wolf dogs. How my friend learned from the creatures in their care about how the universe is ordered.   I began chewing over this conversation the next several days, as the order of the universe is something of a struggle for me, more specifically our human role.  As a species we are highly overrated.  We have gotten way to big for our britches.   I am convinced in the great scheme of things we are all simply specks on a broader landscape.  I am simply befuddled and confused, and at times somewhat embarrassed-by my own very human nature.   As it is for my friend and his wolf dogs, I am drawn to the birds. I find comfort in how they interact with each other and their universe.  I feel a kinship with birds.  Birds are intelligent, adaptive, communicative, social and intuitively plan ahead and learn from the past.  How much of this is instinct- I don't know.   As they say it is outside of my field of study.  I do know that when I see a bird build a nest from what's readily available or thrown aside; a heron fish, a  male blue jay defend his mate; a buzzard eating roadkill; I am struck by the elegance of their economy of living.  Of using what is readily available, of adapting to the nature of surroundings,  forming strong relationships and returning to the nest.  I love the metaphor of the nest.  I cherish the comfort and sanctity of the nest.   I want less of "things" and more time surrounded by  strong relationships and to learn to live in a spirit of natural communion.    A few pictures below of the birds in Myakka State Park.





No comments: