All pictures, images and text copyrighted by Bebe Cook.
(Brenda Nixon Cook)

Sunday, September 4, 2011

I am a Hobbit and other Fairy Tales



Truth of the matter is that I am not truly 100%   human.  I for all practical purposes am a genetic fall back from middle earth.  I suspect Hobbitism is a recessive genetic trait.  My parents both humans of considerable height ( my dad is 6'2" and my mom is 5'7"), my sisters are all between 5'4" and 5'7".   I myself am just a shy bit over 5 feet.  Which according to Tolkien is a bit tallish for a hobbit.  I am willing to concede that my genetic soup might have in addition to my hobbit genes a bit of human DNA.   I am not the only hobbit in my family.  As my daughter said recently when in the company of myself and her cousins Jennifer and Heather--I really do come from a family of Hobbits. My husband took this picture in Alaska, then promptly texted it to our daughter-with the caption "Mom really is a Hobbit".   Below from the Tolkien prologue to The Lord of the Rings and copied from dummiesdotcom--the major characteristics of hobbits.   I possess 10 of the 13 traits below.  I suspect there are worse things being a Hobbit. 

from Dummies.com: 
Before considering what hobbits really meant to Tolkien, you need to picture them as Tolkien designed them. In the Prologue to The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien asserts that hobbits are distantly related to humans and acquaints readers with all their vital statistics. According to this Prologue, hobbit characteristics include the following:
•A height of between two and four feet


•Feet with tough, leathery soles covered in hair (they seldom wear shoes)-
( I have to shave my toes and my feet are nearly square and I frankly I think shoes are overated)


•Long skillful fingers


•A tendency towards chubbiness
( I prefer the term jumbo-petite)


•Little or no facial hair
( thankfully absolutely no facial hair)


•An ability to disappear swiftly and silently
( I can move quietly and swiftly if I am in the search of food, fun or music)


•Excellent hearing and sharp eyesight
( excellent hearing, eyesight not so sharp--I succumb to the humanness of near sightedness)


•No understanding of machinery more complicated than the watermill, forge bellows, and the hand loom

( I believe that technology should work out of the box--and if it doesn't work outside of the box-it should go back in the box. I don't care how it works only that it works-also why I married an engineer)

•A delight in wearing bright colors, particularly yellow and green
( green is my favorite color, as is brown, I have a penchant for brightly colored flower capri's)


•A love of food and drink (especially ale), eating a mere six times a day on average
( oh yes and yes.  Eating is about fellowship, family, friends and fun, and as a diabetic I have to eat every few hours to keep my sugars stabilized).


•A love of laughter, jests, games, and celebrations
This to me this is what life is about.  If we can not laugh and enjoy our gift of life, what is the point).


•A love of peace and quiet and "good tilled" earth
( I am a gardener at heart, connected to the earth, the cycle of the seasons, and simply am most content with my hands in the dirt).


•A particular love for the smoking of tobacco in small clay pipes


No comments: